Did you know that Pound Cake gets its name because it's made with a pound of butter? Technically, this is a half-pound cake, but still yields enough to share...if you want.
*Note that this recipe is for a smaller loaf pan (5 ½ x 3” or a 2 ½ cup pan of similar shape)
You will need:
For the cake:
- 1/2 Cup Cake Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/8 Teaspoon Sel Gris De Gue'rande Sea Salt
- 4 Teaspoons Poppy Seeds
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
- 1 (large) Egg (Room Temperature)
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Grated Lemon Zest plus Juice
- 1/4 Teaspoon Madagascar Vanilla Extract
For the Glaze:
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Cane Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.
Grease & flour loaf pan.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, & salt together in bowl. In small bowl, combine 1 TBS flour mixture and poppy seeds.
- In medium bowl, whisk sugar, melted butter, egg, lemon zest and juice, and vanilla together until smooth. Whisk in remaining flour mixture in 2 additions until few streaks of flour remain. Gently whisk in poppy seed mixture until most of lumps are gone (do not overmix).
- Transfer batter to prepared pan & smooth top with spatula. Gently tap pan on counter to release air bubbles. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 30 to 40 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Let cake cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove cake from pan. Poke top and sides of cake with toothpick.
- FOR THE LEMON GLAZE: Combine sugar and lemon juice in bowl and microwave until sugar dissolves and mixture thickens slights, about 1 minute, stirring halfway through microwaving. Brush top & sides of cake with warm glaze and let cool completely on rack before serving.